Saturday, January 23, 2010

About do I have to pay Philadelphia City tax if I am a resident of Delaware and work in Philadelphia

Do I have to pay Philadelphia City tax if I am a resident of Delaware and work in Philadelphia?
I live in Delaware and commute to Philly every day for work. I pay city tax but why?
United States - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Because you work in Philly. You earned money there, hence it's subject to their taxes.
2 :
Yes, you are liable for the Philadelphia Wage Tax. The tax is due from anyone who works in Philadelphia regardless of where they live and from Philadelphia residents regardless of where they work. Why? Because that's the law. Normally if the tax is withheld from your wages there is no need to file a city tax return.
3 :
You pay Philly Wage Tax because you use the services of Philadelphia when you go to work. You also pay Pennsylvania income tax, because you use the services of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania when you go to work. You don't think those streets and highways, police protection, pay for themselves. I live in Delaware and work in Pennsylvania four months each winter. And I pay Pennsylvania and city taxes there each year. At least the city where I work only charges 1% instead of the 3.5% they take in Philly for non-residents.